During warm weather, you’ll stay cooler for less if you make sure your air conditioning unit is operating efficiently. Follow these simple tips.
- Replace the filters in your central air conditioning system or window units regularly, depending on the amount of pet hair, dust and lint in your home.
- Keep the outside part of your air conditioning unit clean and free of debris and grass clippings.
- Set your thermostat at the highest comfortable temperature. We recommend a setting of 78 degrees or higher. Use a ceiling fan to circulate the air to make you feel cooler.
- If you’ll be away from home all day, raise the temperature on the thermostat by up to five degrees so that you don’t pay to cool an empty house.
- Consider installing a programmable thermostat that will automatically raise the temperature at night when it’s not as warm and during the workday when you’re not at home.
- Don’t put lamps near the thermostat. It will sense the heat from them and cause the air conditioner to run more than it needs to.
- On hot days, avoid using appliances that create heat and humidity, such as dishwashers, washing machines and clothes dryers.